This introductory course provides an overview of the global hospitality and tourism industry, its growth and development, industry segments and their distinguishing characteristics, trends and current concerns. Students are introduced to career opportunities and the employability skills needed to succeed in specific hospitality fields.
At the completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Discuss and analyze the key factors responsible for the growth and development of hospitality and tourism.
- Describe the current trends and challenges faced by the hospitality and tourism industry, in the context of global economic, environmental, health and other social concerns.
- Discuss hotel classifications and describe the different types of hotel ownership and development, i.e. franchising and management contracts.
- Identify possible career paths for hospitality graduates with emphasis on the vast opportunities open to those who possess the knowledge, skills and personal qualities expected of potential industry leaders.
- Discuss the importance of effective service leadership and management, and the characteristics of effective leaders in the hospitality industry.